In the financial world
- The sun rose over Eugene at 7:00 am and set at 7:09 pm
- Local high: 46° F
- Local low: 36° F
- The nation's weather extremes were 0° recorded at Indio,
California and -20° at 74
- the Dow Jones closed at 10,700.13
- Minimum Wage was 6.50
and the prices of some big and little ticket items were
- Loaf of Bread: 1.49
- Gallon of Milk: 2.89
- Average New Home: 132,000.00
- New Car: 21,750.00
- Gallon of gasoline: 1.73
- Hospital Room: 500.00
In the world of entertainment this week
- Eugene/Springfield: 185,160
- U.S. Population: 276,328,007
Isabell Francis Ryn shares her birthday with these other interesting
The top grossing movie was: "Save the Last Dance"
- The highest rated TV show was: "Golden Globe Awards" -
- 1561 - Sir Francis Bacon - English lawyer, statesman, philosopher,
and essayist is considered to been one of the greatest thinkers and
writers of his time.
- 1588 - John Winthrop - British subject who escaped the
anti-Puritan policies of King George I to become the first Governor
of the Massachusetts Bay Colony and the leading Puritan founder of
- 1907 - Douglas Corrigan - American aviator who earned the nickname
"Wrong Way Corrigan" for having landed in Ireland on a
1938 flight that was, at least officially planned to go from New
York to Los Angeles.
There have been some other notable events on this day in history
- 1789 - William Hill Brown published what is considered to be the
first published American novel, The Power of Sympathy.
- 1879 - James Shields, who had previously served as Governor of the
Oregon Territory, U.S. Senator for Illinois and U.S. Senator for
Minnesota, began a term as a U.S. Senator for the state of Missouri.
- 1947 - KTLA, Channel 5 in Hollywood, began operation as the first
commercial television station west of the Mississippi River.
- 1983 - "E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial", became the top
movie box office champion; a position it would hold for ten years
until the introduction of "Jurassic Park".